May 18th, 2013
On another journey to the garden for sports he saw a sick man groaning with great pain. That day too his mind was shaken as was on the first day. Having discussed those things with his driver, he realized for himself that all are subjected to sickness and suffering and that no one can escape it. That day too he realized for himself that all are subjected to sickness and suffering and that no one can escape it. That day too he returned to the palace without going for sports.
On another day on his way to the garden he saw a group of people carrying a dead body. That day too he discussed it with his driver and realized that death too is a common thing just like being sick and old. As he contemplated on death, he realized the meaninglessness of life. Finally, he realized that what man experiences in the mundane life is nothing but immense suffering although he things it is pleasure. That day too he abandoned the journey to the garden and returned to the palace.
As he was embroiled in his own thoughts as to whether there is a way of freeing himself from suffering, he saw one day an ascetic with a content and radiant face walking calmly. After discussing with his driver as usual he came to know that whom he saw was a person who leads a contented life having discarded all mundane pleasure realizing the meaningless of material things. Prince Siddhartha was greatly relieved. He left for sports with a happy mind. He realized that it was a turning point in his life. It was as a result of seeing those four signs which acted as big stimuli on him that Prince Siddhartha embarked on his journey in search of truth, having abandoned all luxuries.
* Date of Issue : 18th May, 2013
* Denomination : Rs. 4.00, Rs. 5.00, Rs. 15.00, Rs. 50.00
* Stamp Designer : Kumudu Tharaka
* Stamp Size : 41mm * 30mm
* Format : Horizontal
* Printing Process : Offset Lithography
* Sheet Composition : 16 stamps per sheet
* Perforation : 14 * 13 3/4
* Printers : Department of Government Printing, Sri Lanka
* Color : 4 Process Colors|
* Paper : 102 gsm security paper
* Gum : PVA
* Quantity Printed : Rs. 4.00 - 500,000
Rs. 5.00 - 500,000
Rs. 15.00 - 1,000,000
Rs. 50.00 - 1,000,000
* Souvenir Sheet : Rs.74.00 - 15,000
* Last Date of Sale : 17th May, 2014